Thursday 1 December 2011

Fondant Icing and Pop Cake fun.

Not only is making cake pops and icing models good fun it kept my 3 ½ year old quiet for ages – double bonus!
After picking up some reduced fondant icing from my local supermarket and some Dr Oetker coloured icing – Emily and I spent an afternoon making icing models for the Christmas cake. I had recently seen a demonstration on TV by Ann Pickard and took inspiration from what I had seen (and could remember). So we made some snowmen, penguins and trees. A few days later, Emily thought it would be nice to have an angel too for the cake – so out came the icing again and I made a little angel. The angel was nearly finished but she was missing something ….what could she hold? "A penguin" was suggested , and duly made. Whilst messing around with the icing, we spotted the Playdough dog that Santa had bought last Christmas, so 3 puppies and a teddy were made from the mould. I think I will dig out my fimo moulds and have more fun soon.
We also had a play with pop cakes – they seem to be everywhere – so I thought they would be good to make for the schools Christmas cake stall. Looking at the options on internet of how to make them – I went for a pop cake maker that makes little spherical cakes, instead of mixing cake and butter icing together. The plain cakes are a good size for little children, instead of the large muffins or cupcakes with lots of icing/frosting. I bought a Sweet Treats Pop Cake Maker from Lakeland, and so far we have been really pleased with the results. The cakes are moist and tasty. So I had a practice for the sale next week, I kept the decoration simple with dark or white chocolate and lots of sprinkles. Fortunately we didn’t have to munch through 25+ pop cakes as my niece had an 18th birthday party to go to so she took the spare practice pop cakes. The process was simple enough for my daughter to have a go – and she had great fun sprinkling sprinkles everywhere and getting some onto the cakes too.

The scrap page was put together using Serif CraftArtist – using Lifestyle digikit.

No comments:

Post a Comment