Thursday 2 February 2012

Knitted Flower Fairies

I saw the pattern for these lovely characters back in the summer and thought that the set would make a lovely gift for my daughters 1st birthday. I had planned to knit all 4 – but only managed 2 (and a half) in time for her birthday.

The pattern is Patons Book 3806 and they are knitted in Patons Smoothie DK.



I wasn’t sure about the yarn when I bought it as it looks like a cotton yarn but is 100% Acrylic – in the end it was very nice to knit with and as long as you didn’t accidentally split the threads – it knitted up beautifully.

I did, however, make a number of changes to the pattern.
When I started on the first leg, I noticed that the increase stitches showed up making the stripes look quite bity. So I changed it from a stripe starting on a knit row to a stripe starting on a purl row – this meant the increase happened within the stripe and the resulting stripe was far neater.
Another change I made was to the knitting of the body and head – in the pattern the body and head are two separate pieces that need stitching together – I made it all in one piece for a smoother finish.
And the final change was to the wings – the pattern wings were quite large and I didn’t like them. I tried to crochet some lacy wings, but realised that it probably wasn’t wise as little fingers would get caught up in them. So I ended up crocheting a pair that looked a little like butterfly wings and trimmed with a blanket stitch using Anchor Artiste Silver Metallic yarn.

I do hope to finish the third one – Forget-Me-Not, to join Daisy and Rose, and if I get time I would love to knit/crochet a little garden for the fairies to play in….



The scrap page was put together on CraftArtist – using Bambino Thoughts digit kit and some of my own images.
 
Regards
Stompy x

No comments:

Post a Comment