Thursday 29 March 2012

A Fairytale Party.

Not much blog activity from me in March, but I was busy preparing for my daughters 4th birthday party, and finding the floor in "Mummy’s craft room".
The "planning" started in January after her sister celebrated her first birthday, and we started thinking about what we could do. We decided on a Fairytale theme – mainly because Princess parties were very popular, but we would be inviting boys too and I had seen a wonderful dragon cake on the internet.
I had already got a number of fairy drawings that I had done a few years back, so these got revamped and coloured in using Serif DrawPlus x4. But then we need a dragon – so I had to design one – which would be flying, or sitting down, or holding a sign – so three dragons were designed. Then of course you would need a Prince, and a castle, and a Knight, and a frog…… plus all the little decorations.
Once all the characters had been designed. I needed to design the Party Stationery, goodies, and decorations. Serif CraftArtist was key to all of this. I created a digikit (after coming up with some background papers and an alphabet). The digikit was used to create the invite, thank you cards, a party bag booklet (of puzzles and games), and labels. I created my own templates for shield shaped bunting and packets (for the Snapdragon seeds).
With the help of my Silhouette, I also created some "colour me" finger puppets to add to the party bags.
I was very pleased with all items, and had some lovely comments from the Mums.
The cake was good fun to do too. The dragon was made 2 days before, using shop bought Maderia cake (as it lasts longer than homemade Victoria sponges). The two slabs of cake were carved into the basic dragon shape (all held together with chocolate butter icing). The dragon was then covered with a thin layer of ready made icing that I had coloured lilac. Using improvised tools, I created scales that were highlighted with Dusty Lilac Edible Lustre Dust. Some more icing was coloured green and the detail of the wings, claws and spikes were added.
The next day I baked a Victoria sponge – simply coated it in a thin layer of chocolate butter icing and carefully slid the dragon into place. Gold coins and some dragon eggs made by my little helper were added for the finishing touch.
I was very pleased with the final looking cake.
 



The scrap page was put together on CraftArtist – using my Fairytale digit kit.
 
Regards
Stompy x

No comments:

Post a Comment